A fire at Pruett’s grocery store last Wednesday afternoon was caused by "stuff piled up on a generator" that was fired up after a power outage hit the city of De Queen and surrounding county areas earlier that day.
According to De Queen Fire Chief Dennis Pruitt, a dozen firefighters responded to the 12:30 p.m. call and arrived on scene within three minutes, despite the fact that the power outage had knocked out the city’s dispatch services and dispatchers were forced to use the main county radio.
“It was a bit of a hindrance,” Pruitt said.
He said that police, who were directing traffic at the intersection of Collin Raye Drive and Highway 71 due to the power outage, scrambled to the scene and hit the fire with some 10 extinguishers, knocking down most of the flames before firefighters arrived and extinguished it completely.
Despite smoke filling the building, damage was limited to the generator room and firefighters left at 2:17 p.m. An electrician fixed the damage to the generators and Pruett’s re-opened the next morning.