Oct. 3, 1919

 Tuesday night at about 10 o’clock, in the rear of the Elk Hotel, a difficulty occurred in which Sam Dillahunty was shot and critically wounded. He was wounded in the arm and one bullet entered below his left arm. 

He was taken to Texarkana Wednesday where an attempt was made to locate the bullet through an X-ray examination, but the bullet could not be discovered by the physicians. His body is paralyzed below the wound and his condition is critical. Details of the difficulty are meager. 

It appears that Dillahunty and one or more other boys had gone to the hotel’s servant quarters. Mrs. Haynes, hearing a disturbance, went to investigate, and in the conversation that followed insulting language was used towards her, it is said. Her husband, J. P. Haynes, appeared while the talk was going on and the difficulty ensued in which the shooting was done.

Marshal Berry, hearing the shots, went at once to the scene and found Dillahunty lying on the floor of the garage south of the hotel. He summoned aid and carried the wounded man to the residence of Luther Freeman, where he made his home. Pending the outcome of Dillahunty’s wounds, Haynes made bond for his appearance before Squire Geo. L. Irwin, Oct. 10, for an examining trial. 


The sweet potato curing and storage plant being erected by T. W. Park, the efficient sales manager of The Lockesburg Truck and Berry Association, is rapidly nearing completion, and Mr. Park will have everything ready to handle the present crop by the time harvesting begins.


The Arkansas State Corporation Commission will visit De Queen Saturday for the purpose of giving a hearing in regard to service rendered by the Commonwealth Public Service Co., a petition for such a hearing having been sent to the commission several weeks ago. 



October 5, 1944

Staging a counter-attack in the third period, and continuing it in the fourth, after two quarters of stubborn defense, the 1944 De Queen high school Leopards pushed over a touchdown against the Ashdown Panthers here last Friday night in the season’s opening game for the locals – and the first game in two years on the De Queen grid. The Panthers, however, were able to score in the first few minutes of play and again in the final quarter for a 13 to 6 victory. 


Handicapped by the permanent loss of Sauter at end, due to a broken arm, and with Quarterback Eutah Davis suffering an injured hand, the Leopards this week worked out methodically for their meeting with Magnolia here at 8 p.m. Friday. The Magnolia team is reported fairly strong this year, although they lost to Camden last week by a score of 18 to 6. Coach Rube Boyce said he would use his same staring lineup this week with the exception of Brakeville at the end in place of Sauter. Davis, Elliot, Dodson, and Carlton will start in the backfield. 


Rev. and Mrs. H. Wright, Route 3, have received the Purple Heart awarded posthumously to their son, Pfc. Isaac W. Wright who died in an Army hospital in England on July 16 from wounds, which he received in France on D-Day, June 6. The family had been advised 


The office of Sheriff and Collector Fred Poole reported that 2,893 poll tax receipts were issued to voters before the deadline Saturday night, an increase of some 300 over the average purchase for the past 10 or 12 years. Unusual interest in the national election as well as the various amendments and initiated acts to be voted on in Arkansas, resulted in the increased number of receipts issued, it was believed.


City officials began Wednesday a fight on the mosquito plague, which has been serious for the past week or more, and they called on property owners to cooperate by cutting grass and weeds on their property, their vacant lots and around their homes. 



October 2, 1969

A 15-year-old De Queen high school sophomore, Don S. Helms, of Rt. 1, Gillham, received a broken shoulder Friday afternoon in a car-motorcycle mishap east of the fire tower on the Gillham-Almond Road. Trooper Chet Cowling said Helms was riding a 1969 Honda motorcycle east on the blacktopped road towards his home when a 1967 Mustang driven by K. E. Doss, 62, pulled out of the driveway and into the path of the motorcycle. The youth was taken to De Queen General Hospital. Cowling said Doss was cited for failure to yield right of way. 


Wanda Whisnant, Gillham high school senior and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Whisnant, is the 1969 Sevier county fair queen. She was chosen by an out-of-town team of three judges over 19 other contestants Tuesday night in the new high school auditorium. County Judge B. A. Mauldin crowned the new queen, who received a $50 savings bond. First runner up was Judy Jones, De Queen, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Charles N. Jones. Second runner up was Joan Shaw, De Queen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Shaw. Third runner up was Ruelene Staggs, Lockesburg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ruel Staggs, and fourth runner up was Pearl Sullivan, Gillham, daughter of Mrs. Porthelia Sullivan. 


Members of the De Queen Lions club were given a tour of the new high school building and auditorium Tuesday noon as part of their weekly program. The tour was conducted by Bill Blackwood, high school principal. Jack Beller was a guest of the club. 



October 6, 1994

ALLTEL’s $1.5 million telephone service improvement project is over 90 percent complete in the Horatio exchange and approximately 60 percent complete in the Lockesburg exchange according to an ALLTEL news release. These projects are expected to be completed mid-November. The project includes the placement of approximately 43 miles of new telephone cable into service and six electronic digital remote line concentrator modules throughout the Horatio and Lockesburg telephone exchanges. According to Roy Eden, supervisor-operations for Horatio and Lockesburg, “When completed, this project will eliminate party line service throughout these two telephone exchanges.”


Traffic on U.S. 70-71 was closed to one lane for about four hours Monday afternoon as workers cleared the wreckage of a 18-wheeler which lost its trailer wheels when it collided with a bridge railing. State Trooper Roger Whitmore said the accident occurred around 1:45 p.m. on U.S. 70-71 5.5 miles north of Lockesburg. James Burris, 28, of Fulton, Kan. was driving east in a 1993 white truck towing a trailer loaded with 40,000 pounds of motor oil. The trooper said Burris told him that as he approached the bridge, a westbound passenger car, possibly an Acura, crossed the centerline. Burris said he pulled off on the shoulder of the road to miss the car but as he got onto the bridge, the rear wheels of the trailer struck the end of the bridge railing. The impact sheared the two axles from the back end of the trailer and tore the doors off. Raymond Vallee of Ashdown was driving west and said he saw the debris flying after the crash. He pulled onto a gravel road to avoid the debris. Somehow the collision ignited a grass fire on the side of the road and Cossatot Volunteer Fire Department responded to extinguish that blaze. 



October 1, 2009

A De Queen man has pled guilty to numerous felony drug charges as well as conspiracy to commit murder while his wife also pled guilty to the conspiracy charge. The couple pled guilty during their pre-trial on Sept. 23 in response to possibly heavier sentences during the actual trial, which was scheduled for Sept. 28. According to deputy prosecutor Manya Woods, Robert Brown, a 40-year-old resident of De Queen, pled guilty to conspiring to commit murder as well as six counts of intent to deliver a controlled substance-crack-cocaine, one count of intent to deliver controlled substance-methamphetamine, and one count of intent to deliver a controlled substance-marijuana. The crack and meth charges were both Y-felonies, carrying a sentence of 10 to 40 years each. Robert’s wife Lori Brown pled guilty to conspiracy to commit murder. She was given a 10-year sentence with two years already served in the Sevier County Jail. Robert was given a 40-year sentence because his eight charges were stacked concurrently. If the judge had handed down the sentence on each charge consecutively, Robert would have received an almost 300-year sentence. The Browns were arrested for conspiring to murder an informant that alerted the drug task force to Robert’s drug activities. This occurred in 2007. The Browns discovered the identity of the informant through cell phone records after receiving their discovery papers. These papers, routinely given to defendants to help ensure a fair trial, did not include any names but listed the time the informant notified the task force, which allowed the Browns to discover the informant’s identity. The Browns planned to use a mercury-filled syringe to poison the informant. According to Woods, the couple decided to use this method after watching an episode of Forensic Files. They attempted to employ the help of another person, who informed law enforcement of the murder conspiracy. 

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.